02 August 2008

Cafe Chat - Friendship


Kim's question this week is:

“What is one thing that you absolutely love about friendships? Why? On the other side, what is one thing that you find absolutely difficult when it comes to friendships? Why?”

I believe one of the strongest cries of the human heart is to be truly known by another. That knowing is both the best and the most challenging part of friendship.

A friend is someone who takes the time to look beneath the surface to see who is inside.

When a friend asks “How are you?” they actually want to know. No “I’m fine, thank you” will satisfy, for a true friend likely already knows the answer.

You might as well put away all of the masks you wear out in the world when you’re with such a friend, for they’ve seen them before. They can recognize when you’re hiding behind one of those masks and will call you on it and urge you to “be real”.

A friend will not let you run away from issues even when flight is your strongest impulse.

Often a friend can see us much more clearly than we see ourselves and will call us to account for our distorted vision.

A friend loves us when we find ourselves unlovable and requires us to love in return even when we feel most unloving.

Our earthly friendships sustain us and expand us, but they are only shadows of the love affair we can have with the Lord, the One who truly knows us beyond knowing and loves us without condition or restraint.

“Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart.” Psalm 51:6 Amplified Bible

Read more of today's Cafe Chat at Internet Cafe Devotions

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

"A friend loves us when we find ourselves unlovable and requires us to love in return even when we feel most unloving."

Wow, that is so powerful - you are absolutely right.

Lily said...

Beautifully stated!

"I believe one of the strongest cries of the human heart is to be truly known by another. That knowing is both the best and the most challenging part of friendship."

This is so true. I think it's funny when some people try to convince themselves that they don't need anyone.

Of curse they do! We were created for intimacy with God and with one another.

Sam said...

This is a lovely post, we all need one another whether we realise it or not.

Kimberly said...

It is so very nice to meet you! I am sorry I did not come by sooner. We went on a little vacation! :)

I am so thankful for the godly friendships in my life. They truly do sustain me and expand me. I love how God loves on me through my friends. This is a beautiful post!

Blessings! And may your time of fasting truly be a time of hearing the Father clearly and feeling Him oh so near.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

This is a beautiful post...and so true. The "strongest cries of the human heart" is indeed the desire to know and be known. Thanks for sharing.

Tiffanie Lloyd said...

Very true about the "strongest cries of the human heart". Great post.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.