28 August 2009

Evening Drive

There's a field around the corner, about 2 miles away
that normally stands empty, filled with weeds and hay
And every now and then, sad old horses
just a few, are left to pasture there.
But yesterday as I drove past
what caught my eye was moving fast
A brand new herd, both old and young
Running in the morning sun.


I wished I had our camera with me, but I was on my way to town to spend the afternoon at a funeral for a member of our church family and had no time to turn back home.

Last night, as we sat down to a quickly prepared dinner of black beans and rice I told Rick about our new equine neighbors and asked if we could take a drive out to see if we could get some photos. Not knowing where they came from, I was afraid if we waited they might disappear as quickly as they arrived.


The approaching sunset was calling forth colours that shimmered and shifted. Rick captured the view of the road ahead of us.


Sometimes we can gaze down the road, and it appears endless, as if we have all the time in the world. But memories of the funeral yesterday cried out to me, just as I don't know when the horses might be gone, we never know when the road will end.

It's never too soon to secure your life in Christ. It's never too soon to express your love to those you hold dear. It's never to soon to forgive someone or ask for forgiveness. And if the road indeed is long, your travelling will be lighter with the Lord walking beside you

"For man also knows not his time [of death]: as the fishes are taken in an evil net, and as the birds are caught in the snare, so are the sons of men snared in an evil time when [calamity] falls suddenly upon them." Ecclesiastes 9:12 Amplified

2 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

No, it's never too soon. What a beautiful post--tugged at my heart.

you gotta wonder said...

Powerful. Thank you for sharing these thoughts and images.