12 December 2009

Chanukah Doughnuts

Tomorrow evening we are hosting another couple for dinner and a Chanukah celebration. With the Christmas tree lights twinkling, we will light the menorah and let it remind us of the miracle of the oil that lasted eight nights instead of one. Perhaps we shall read aloud from the book of Macabees in the Apocrypha.

This is the time to feast on foods fried in oil to celebrate the miracle. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the taste of fried foods, but I don't relish the lingering smell of deep frying in my home. When my friends asked what they could cook, as they are always eager to try new recipes, I asked them to prepare the potato latkes (panckaes). I am cooking a traditional fruited pot roast.

Sufganiyot are the doughnuts that are enjoyed for Chanukah, but again, I didn't want to deep fry. I was very happy to find a recipe for baked doughnuts. The smell of the yeast, nutmeg and cinnamon warmed my kitchen on this cold winter day.

My verdict? I agree with the comment at the end of the recipe "They taste as doughnuts should."

If you want to try these at your house, you can find the recipe by clicking here.


2 comments:

Corinne Cunningham said...

Those look delicious! I'm also not a fan of the lingering smell of fried goodness... we might have to try your recipe. Enjoy the festivities tomorrow!

eph2810 said...

The look yummy :) I have to check out the recipe; thank you for sharing the link.