06 February 2010

Ephesians 6:18 Saturdays - Thanksgiving

Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all [manner of] prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God's consecrated people). Ephesians 6:18 Amplified

As I promised last week, I am devoting the next few months of Saturdays to the study of different types of prayer.

This week I begin where we should begin all of our prayer times - with prayers of thanksgiving.

We can't pray effectively if we are far from the One we are praying to. Thanksgiving is the key that brings us into the presence of the Lord.

Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise! Psalm 95:2 Amplified

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and a thank offering and into His courts with praise! Be thankful and say so to Him, bless and affectionately praise His name! Psalm 100:4 Amplified

or as The Message Bible so clearly says: Enter with the password: "Thank you!"

When we begin to thank God for all that He Is and all He has done we begin to build a track record in our spirits, we see a history of His faithfullness. We are drawn closer to Him and need not worry about sharing our needs with Him.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6 NLT

Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude. Colossians 4:2 The Message

Share your thoughts on the key of thankfullness. If someone was coming to visit you and ask for favours, would you be more inclined to allow them in if they showed gratitude for the invitiation? Doesn't our awesome and mighty God deserve that and more?

If you feel comfortable, please share a prayer of thanksgiving in the comments. And come back next week to explore prayers of adoration.

Father God, my heart is filled to overflowing with gratitude for all that You Are. Thank You, Lord God for allowing me, even calling me to come into Your presence. There is nothing in my life more precious than time spent with You. Help me, Lord, to hunger and thirst after the things of You and Your Kingdom, that the world around me would grow pale and lose flavour. Thank You for giving me Your Holy Spirit, Who convicts me to pray. I love You and cherish my time in fellowship with You. May my words be acceptable in Your sight, in Jesus name.

No comments: