29 April 2010

His Cross - my cross

It is a fine line my Lord asks me to walk
that narrow road from death to abundant life
to thank Him for His cross
and shoulder my own

My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 NLT

My spirit knows the truth of these words, but my flesh, oh, my flesh! Day by day, often moment by moment it struggles to ressurect itself. Perhaps this is what prompted Roy Hession to write in The Calvary Road:
But dying to self is not a thing we do once for all. There may be an initial dying when God first shows these things, but ever after it will be a constant dying, for only so can the Lord Jesus be revealed constantly through us.' All day long the choice will be before us in a thousand ways. It will mean no plans, no time, no money, no pleasure of our own. It will mean a constant yielding to those around us, for our yieldedness to God is measured by our yieldedness to man. Every humiliation, everyone who tries and vexes us, is God's way of breaking us, so that there is a yet deeper channel in us for the Life of Christ.
Help me look to Your cross and lay down my rights that Your life might be reflected in me, not to my credit Lord, but for the glory of Your Name.


1 comment:

caryjo said...

I like that photo. Makes my heart desire to rush to a lake or bay or ocean... maybe soon...