22 April 2010

The "What If?" Challenge

Question Mark and ArrowImage by laurakgibbs via Flickr

Last week, the Faith Barista, Bonnie Gray asked me to particpate in her "What If" Challenge.

I responded with the following list of five what ifs :

What if I believed God truly is for me and not against me?
What would I do knowing He would move all of heaven and earth to accomplish His work through me?
What if I really wrote that book?
What if I finally learned how to organize my time effectively?
What if I forgave every person who I ever felt hurt by?

Bonnie asked us to post today on how we met the challenge and link back to her.

I must admit I'm not sure that I've made much progress this week toward making these a reality.

I have meditated on the power God has to work all things for good, which touches on what if I believed God truly is for me and not against me and what would I do knowing He would move all of heaven and earth to accomplish His work through me?

I posted another excerpt from my NaNoWriMo Challenge work for last week’s Flashback Friday, so that counts as progress on what if I really wrote that book?

I haven’t even started on what if I finally learned how to organize my time effectively? I’m too disorganized to begin, I suppose.

The need to forgive has been following me, knocking around in my heart and spirit. The Holy Spirit is gentle yet persistent, convicting me that what if I forgave every person who I ever felt hurt by is a challenge I must meet.

As I pondered and mediated this week, I sat down with my journal and my Lord, and this is what Jesus had to say:

I am holding your broken heart. Even as you extend it to others, it remains in My hands. I know when you hurt, little one, but I am the One Who calls you to love. Your heart cracks, then grows as it heals. The bigger the heart, the more pain it can feel.

No, I didn’t create you for misery, child, but to feel a portion of what I feel. You have a heart in training, learning to love against all odds, those who do not return love, and those who seem most unlovable. When that heart bleeds, not for itself, but only for the pain of others, its lessons will have been well learned.

You have asked Me to use you. And I do, and I will. But as you surrender, it is not your choice of use, but Mine.

Does the clay tell the potter what form it should take? So too must you allow Me to craft a vessel suited to My purposes. As I broke for you, you also, little one, will break for Me.

Then help me to know Lord when the pain I carry is not my own, that I might bear it well.

Keep looking and listening to Me. Other voices swirl about like winds and create confusion. My voice is Truth and Light and brings you revelation and wisdom. Voices that bring darkness are not Mine.

We will open each room in your heart to discover those things that do not belong there. Some were indeed proper for a season; others were never supposed to be stored there at all. I already know what your heart holds, child. Now it is time for you to see as well.

I see netting around my heart, almost as if it’s there to keep my heart from falling apart, but it also stops it from growing. Have I used this net to protect myself?

Indeed, like a safety net – old patterns and beliefs, that you think will help you if you fall. Only I can catch you, little one, and I will.

Nets can be cast off. Chains can be broken. Walls can come down. Your heart is in My hands.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

15 comments:

Daughter of the KING said...

Not yet being a follower of Faith Barista, Bonnie Gray's blog, I missed the challenge. Reading your post today has given me the bug so with notebook in hand I start now. My what if's will look sort of like yours. What if God really did call me to do that?

Thank you for sharing the challenge!

Janet Lyn said...

Beautiful post.
You have the kind of heart God can use to reach the world with His love. You have the kind of heart the world needs.
Thank you for sharing!

jasonS said...

Very nicely said. Thanks.

Glynn said...

"What if" is where all the possibility lies. Good post, sir.

Helen said...

Great thoughts. I have felt God asking me to hand all the gunk in my heart to Him. Only it seems He wants me to hand over the whole thing, and let Him decide what is gunk. I am finding that hard.

Shelby said...

This is some powerful stuff. You do have an amazing heart.

I think, like the top commenter, I'm going to have to taken pen in hand and attempt this challenge for myself.

I'm at such a crossroads in my life and so much of what you write helps to inspire me or center me or settle me -- turning my attention back to the One Who always loves me best. Thank you for that.

FiftyCentLove said...

Beautiful, powerful, and thoughtful. Loved reading this.

Sandra Heska King said...

Beautiful! Touching. So much to think on. And I love this: "Nets can be cast off. Chains can be broken. Walls can come down."

Susan said...

"Even as you extend it to others, it remains in My hands"... your heart. My heart. Safe in His hands... even as we offer them up. I love this... the truthful contrast... bared yet safe. Beautiful love.

Duane Scott said...

I've seen many of these "What If" posts in all the blogs,and I think they are amazing! Wish I had taken this challenge. :)

Bonnie Gray said...

Sound like you are being used... as an example of one the King loves... you are a daughter, most precious and favored.

There is your purpose... and in that, we see beauty and our hearts smile.

The what ifs are only a tool, if it is needed or useful. They are not our joy or our direction.

So glad you placed this post into the faith barista jam. Such a melody to add to the improv of faith brews!

Covnitkepr1 said...

love your "what if" list.
Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower and I invite you to look over my blog and perhaps become one yourself

Covnitkepr1 said...

If you have an email you'd be willing to share,,,I'd appreciate it so I can notify you of updates on my blog. Please email me with it if you care to. I never give out this information to others.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your what ifs!!

Katie said...

Beautiful heart!