19 October 2011

Close Enough to Hear God Breathe by Greg Paul


The words written on the back cover of Close Enough to Hear God Breathe The Great Story of Divine Intimacy by Greg Paul could have come from my own heart:
There are a thousand voices telling me who I am or who I should be.

I want to hear what God has to say.  I want to know that He's really there.  I want to know that in the whole grand, tangled sweep of the human story my little story matters.  I need to hear His voice speaking to me, in my own ears...
In a journey that should be familiar, through Creation, The Fall, Redemption and finally Consummation, Paul shows us through scripture and stories how God longs to speak to us as much as we hunger to hear Him.  His voice rings loud through the lives of those Paul has met on the streets of Toronto; homeless, addicted, ensnared in the sex trade, but human all.  God loves and pursues and His light can be seen shining in their eyes to those willing to get close enough to look.

Through these pages I found myself both chuckling and wiping tears from my eyes.  There were moments I needed to stop reading, close my eyes and sit silently, waiting for God to speak to me, as Paul left me hungry for Him.

If you have ever felt that your story doesn't matter to God then you need to read this book!

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.  The opinions I have shared are my own.


No comments: