03 January 2012

Courageous Living by Michael Catt

I watched and was greatly moved by the film Courageous, and when I was offered the opportunity to review books related to the film I gladly accepted.

The first book I read was Courageous Living Dare to Take a Stand by Michael Catt. I think I was expecting this book to be the story that the film dramatized, but by reading the following on the back cover I knew I was in for something more:
Catch a fresh wind of bravery through the bold biblical accounts of Abraham, Joshua, Ruth and many others in Courageous Living by Michael Catt, pastor and executive producer of the unforgettable film Courageous.
Because we are called to take a faithful, fearless stand in all that matters, Catt sheds new light on the stories of people in the Bible who displayed great courage when it would have been easier to play it safe. They challenge and inspire us to keep moving forward, to examine our priorities, and to deal with anything that brings fear to our heart.
The stories on these pages were compelling in their application to our own lives.  I was challenged indeed to examine the way both myself and the corporate church have been living.  Are we walking in faith or fear?
Fear is believing a lie, listening to negative voices, and not taking God at His Word.  Faith is fear that has said its prayers.
Am I, are we, willing to allow God to work through us, strengthen us, make our lives count for the Kingdom, or have we become content with just getting by, living lives that would be called "average"?
We don't have time for average.  Average is climbing halfway up the mountain and stopping.
I don't want to go only halfway and I don't believe God wants His body to stop before reaching the goals He has set for us.

Do you need to have your passion reignited or are you content with the status quo?  I suggest you decide before you pick up this stirring book.

Book has been provided courtesy of David C Cook and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from B&H Publishing Group.

The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: