24 January 2012

The Emancipation of Robert Sadler, Chapian & Sadler

I was intrigued when I read the following description of The Emancipation of Robert Sadler The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave by Marie Chapian and Robert Sadler.
Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five--by his own father. Originally published in 1975, this is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others borne out of his experience. You won't forget this poignant true story of good triumphing over evil, of God's grace, and of an extraordinary life of ministry.
I knew this would not be an easy read.  My heart was torn as I read these powerful words about man's inhumanity to his fellow man writen from a very personal perspective.  I admit to having a bit of trouble reading the conversations written in the regional dialect, but I am glad that I pressed through.

This story is a testimony to God's faithfulness to save and protect those who choose to surrender their lives into His hands.

My favourite tales were those of Sadler's ministry adventures, how God blessed his obedience by showing Him wonderous example of His power in miracles of healings and salvation.  We could all learn a lesson here about both listening and really hearing God's voice.

Marie Chapian is a Christian counselor and author or coauthor of more than thirty books, including the bestsellers Telling Yourself the Truth and Free to Be Thin. She founded Marie Chapian Ministries in 1982 to teach and equip the body of Christ. She lives in Southern California.

Robert Sadler (1911–1986) was born near Anderson, South Carolina, in 1911. He was sold into slavery at the age of five and escaped at fourteen. Eventually he moved to Ohio but traveled extensively sharing the gospel and ministering to others at every opportunity.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

The opinions I have shared are my own.
 

No comments: