27 October 2012

Active expectation

Our spiritual life is a life in which we wait, 
actively present to the moment,
 expecting that new things will happen to us, 
new things that are far beyond our own imagination or prediction. 
This, indeed, is a very radical stance toward life 
in a world preoccupied with control. 
Henri Nouwen

I walk slowly, silent 
but for the crackle of leaves underfoot
present in the waiting
active in expectation
surrendering control
radical indeed
and fully His

abiding in the vine with Cheryl

savoring the stillness with Sandy

 

5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

two important things....expecting good...and being in the moment...smiles...


hey it was great to see you today...hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

time is a strange thing to comprehend.

Jody Lee Collins said...

Karen, this really speaks to me, as I've been reading 'Waiting on God' by Andrew MUrray and just well, waiting on God....I like the lines about 'active expectation.'
wonderful food for thought.

Laura said...

Oh, how I love Henri Nouwen. Beautiful.

Cheryl Smith said...

This post seems very similar, at least in how it affects me, to JoDee Luna's link in this week's True Vine Challenge. Actively waiting. Bigger than we can anticipate. Yep. I'm there. Still praying.