08 March 2013

Winter lingers

Facebook and Twitter messages flash on my screen, 
telling me of seeds planted, buds appearing, 
blossoms beginning to thrive. 
Such is March in the lives of many.

I have chosen life on the Canadian prairies, 
western Manitoba, 
where snow falls early and stays late.  
The flakes first appear in early October 
and can fall fresh in mid-May.
This is home.

The long winters teach lessons in patience and hope.  
We flip through seed catalogues, 
water the indoor plants 
and believe in what we cannot yet see.

Faith means ·being sure [the assurance; or the tangible reality; 
or the sure foundation] of the things we hope for 
and ·knowing that something is real even if we do not see it
[the conviction/assurance/evidence about things not seen]. 
Hebrews 11:1 Expanded Bible

Five Minute Friday
Linking up with Lisa-Jo today

 

5 comments:

Brandi Roberts said...

Love the photo and the beautiful prose. Having lived in Manitoba, myself, I can appreciate it. God bless!

michelle said...

Love it! Happy FMF!

Anonymous said...

it is interesting to me to think of the different seasons and the different times of the seasonal arrival.

my husband and oldest daughter are preparing for a trip to new zealand in a few weeks, and they will be in a different time of day, a different day of the week as well as fall instead of spring.

for the last few weeks i have seen posts about spring in the southern states of north america. and now i am starting to see some signs here in oregon.

I'm not giving up the coat quite yet.

Elizabeth Dianne said...

I can just see you sitting by the fire flipping through seed catalogs--warmth, faith and hope--God is good!

Blessings to you my friend--I love your writings--no matter how simple or complex!

Have a wonderful weekend. We are supposed to be in the 70's in a few days and for once I am actually looking forward to it. Winter is my favorite season. Maybe I should live in Manitoba instead of Arkansas--smile!

bluecottonmemory said...

Beautiful Home! Simply beautiful!