20 January 2015

Reaching Out in a Crisis

The rainy season was late in Malawi but when it arrived it came with a vengeance.  Newly planted fields are washed clean.  Few homes have escaped damage with hundreds completely fallen to the ground.  There are at least two more months of rain ahead so disastrous effects are expected to continue.

The needs are vast.  It would be easy to be swept away by alternating waves of compassion and frustration at the inability to attend to every need.
I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. 
Helen Kelller
The OM Malawi team is working to provide both immediate and long term practical assistance and spiritual support to people they already minister to and others.  Currently assessing the situation, the first steps are the distribution of maize and blankets, offering nourishment and warmth; and work on securing houses that are still standing.  Some of these precarious houses are sheltering up to three and four families as people who have lost their homes are staying with relatives.  

Much more intensive work awaits after the rains as OM Malawi makes plans to help in the building of permanent houses, restoring both homes and lives.

No comments: